Monday, December 26, 2016

Mormon 5: "I was without hope..."

“But behold, I was without hope,” Mormon proclaims in verse 2 of Chapter 5, after mentioning that he was convinced by the Nephites to once again lead their armies (Mormon 5:2). Upon reading this, I couldn’t help but wonder what Mormon’s reasons may have been for returning as commander of the Nephite armies. He explains that his lack of hope stemmed from the fact that the Nephite people “repented not of their iniquities,” and that they refused to turn to God for assistance in their struggle against the Lamanites (Mormon 5:2). Given that he knew that the Nephite armies were destined for destruction, why bother to help them? Was it the Christlike thing to do? Could it be that he felt that providing the Nephite people some sense of hope, and showing them compassion, was proper and right? Or perhaps it was pride in his nation and its culture, despite the shortcomings of his people? He was called to serve his countrymen and felt obligated to do so. Or maybe he believed the Nephite cause was more just and more worthy than the cause of the Lamanites?
Regardless of his reasoning, I have no doubt that he consulted with the Lord before agreeing to return to the Nephite army, yet he makes no mention of it. He does however, state that he “did repent of the oath” made regarding his resignation and refusal to fight alongside the Nephites (Mormon 5:1). Now, I do have a tendency to overthink nearly everything, and this may be such a moment, but I wonder if the word “repent” was not chosen by Mormon on accident. We know from Chapter 3 that when Mormon prayed for the Nephite people, he did so “without faith” (Mormon 3:12). He was clearly frustrated with their refusal to accept the Gospel, and who could blame him? Yet maybe praying with “without faith” led to a lapse in judgement and an inability to recognize the Lord’s desire for him to continue his service to the people, requiring him to repent. Maybe he allowed his will to take precedence over the Lord’s; for without Mormon’s service at the head of the army, it’s not difficult to imagine that the “Book of Mormon” would be quite different. If Mormon wrote as a spectator, he would have written from a very different perspective and it’s entirely possible that the things which were required of him to write for latter-day generations may not have been included in the book.

A few other observations…
·         Verses 17 & 18 explain that at one point, the Nephites were a “delightsome people,” who followed Christ. At the time in which Mormon was writing, however, they were led by Satan. I couldn’t help but feel Mormon’s pain as I read these verses. The word “delightsome” is such a unique and special description. It evokes a very specific image in my mind; one of laughter and joy and song, like in a Disney animated feature. To go from being Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah’s Mr. Bluebird to being led by Satan...well, dang; that is a mighty, mighty change. Unfortunately, I imagine it was one that was not too difficult for Satan to bring about. He mostly used pride, an all too effective tool.
·          In Verse 19, Mormon mentions that “The Lord hath reserved [the Nephite’s] blessings which they might have received in the land for the Gentiles.” This seems to suggest, I think, that the Nephites had an opportunity to reap the blessings of America and blew it. More important though, are the principles taught here: 1) The Lord’s work will be accomplished regardless of our poor decisions and refusal to act as He would have us act, and 2) We must accept the blessings that the Lord hopes to provide us. We cannot passively move through life and expect that the Lord will give without acknowledgement, gratitude, and request. We must put forth an effort if we desire the Lord to make up for our shortcomings and to provide for us.
·         Mormon asks the Gentiles in Verse 23, “Know ye not that ye are in the hands of God?” He issued this statement as a warning, but given the trials I’ve faced in the last few months, I read it with comfort and gratitude. The Lord’s hand is guiding my life, of that I have no doubt. While acknowledging that fact has never been difficult for me, I don’t know if I’ve ever really thought about what it means. It's only now, at a moment in which I dislike the path which He has laid for me, have I recognized the importance of faith in the fact that He does indeed have a plan designed specifically for me. This plan will not require me to experience challenges without purpose, and He will never abandon me. I am “in the hands of God,” and though it may be difficult to see now, the struggles I have are for my own good. The comfort which that sentence brings is nothing short of miraculous. It's also a sentence of great hope; the perfect way to end a post which started with a statement of hopelessness.

No comments:

Post a Comment