Sunday, December 25, 2016

Greater Gratitude in Prayer

            While winding down for the evening, I found myself thinking about prayer and about things I can do to improve the ones I offer each night. In recent months, I feel as though my prayers have become far more meaningful; I’ve felt the Spirit in ways I never imagined possible, and I know with a surety that Heavenly Father hears every prayer I speak, and that He truly does love me. For the first time in my life, really, I feel His presence on an almost daily basis; it’s miraculous.
            After a quick Google search on the subject, I found an October 2008 General Conference talk by Elder David Bednar entitled Pray Always. The talk is fantastic, as nearly all Elder Bednar talks tend to be. I’ll probably spend several nights going through the various principles and ideas he lays out in it. Tonight though, I’d like to focus on gratitude.
            Elder Bednar tells a story about a time he and his wife had learned of the death of a good friend. They desired to kneel in prayer and ask God to bless their friend’s family with comfort and love. During this time, they were hosting a member of the Quorum of the Twelve in their home, and before Sister Bednar offered her prayer, he suggested that she “ask for nothing,” and instead “express only appreciation for the blessings received.” Elder Bednar mentions that Sister Bednar followed his counsel, thanking Heavenly Father for the experiences and memories they had with their friend. “She communicated sincere gratitude for the Holy Ghost as a Comforter,” Elder Bednar states, “and for the gifts of the Sprirt that enable us to face adversity and to serve others.” She also mentioned her gratitude for the Savior and His sacrifice and Atonement, and for the restored gospel on the earth today, which provides us with the knowledge that families can be together forever.
            “Because of and through that prayer,” Elder Bednar explains, “our family was blessed with inspiration about a number of issues that were pressing upon our minds and stirring in our hearts.” He says that an expression of gratitude for the Plan of Salvation and for the Savior reminded them of important truths that provided comfort and confidence in the knowledge that their friends would be alright. Additionally, Elder Bednar says that they better understood those things which Heavenly Father desired that they ask for.

            He closes this section by suggesting that “periodically you and I offer a prayer in which we only give thanks and express gratitude.” We should allow our souls to rejoice, and devote all the energy of our hearts to appreciation for the things which God has blessed us with. 

No comments:

Post a Comment